Finding out whether someone is in jail is extremely easy — nearly every state has a public, searchable database you can use to find people.
How do I find out if someone is in jail?
Almost all of the various agencies responsible for inmates in the United States have online databases. You can access and search these on the Web. This page provides links to these databases and information on how to find more local information such as city and county jail inmates.
What does this information mean?
On many of these sites, you will encounter disclaimer pages. It is important to understand what kind of information you are accessing. The appearance of a person’s name in one of these databases does not mean they have been convicted of a crime. In addition to convicted inmates, many of these database also contain information regarding individuals who are being housed while awaiting trial. These individuals are innocent until proven guilty.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons houses persons convicted of violating Federal laws and some who are alleged violators and are awaiting trial. The BOP Inmate Locator lets you search the database online.
State Department of Corrections
Almost every state has a database online for searching inmate and offender information. Only Maine and South Dakota do not provide this information line. South Dakota’s site states that there are a number of statutes preventing the publication of this information. In both of these cases you can contact the agency directly to obtain information.
Most states host their own databases on their sites. Others contract VINE Link. If you can’t find information on a state’s D.O.C. site, try VINE.
- Alabama Department of Corrections Inmate Search
- Alaska Vine Link
- Arizona Department of Corrections Inmate Datasearch
- Arkansas Department of Correction Population Information Search
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Inmate Locator
- Colorado Department of Corrections Offender Search
- Connecticut Department of Correction Offender Information Search
- Delaware Statewide VINE Link
- Florida Department of Correction Inmate Population Information Search
- Georgia Department of Corrections Offender Search
- Hawaii SAVIN
- Idaho Department of Correction Offender Search
- Illinois Department of Correction Inmate Search
- Indiana Department of Correction Offender Search
- Iowa Department of Corrections Offender Information
- Kansas Department of Corrections Offender Search
- Kentucky Offender Online Lookup
- Louisiana Automated Victim Notification System
- Maine Find an Inmate (you must contact the jail directly)
- Maryland Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services Inmate Locator
- Massachusetts Department of Correction VINE Link
- Michigan Department of Corrections Offender Tracking Information Search
- Minnesota Department of Corrections Offender Locator
- Mississippi Department of Corrections Inmate Search
- Missouri Department of Corrections MDOC Offender Search
- Montana Department of Corrections Correctional Offender Network
- Nebraska Department of Correctional Services Inmate Information Locator
- Nevada Offender Tracking Information System
- New Hampshire Department of Corrections Inmate Locator
- New Jersey Department of Corrections Inmate Finder
- New Mexico Corrections Department Offender Information
- New York State Department of Correctional Services Inmate Population Information Search
- North Carolina Department of Corrections Offender Public Search
- North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Inmate Lookup
- Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction Offender Search
- Oklahoma Department of Corrections Offender Lookup
- Oregon Department of Corrections Offender Search
- Pennsylvania Department of Corrections Inmate Information
- Rhode Island Department of Corrections Inmate Search
- South Carolina Department of Corrections Inmate Search
- South Dakota Department of Corrections Inmate Search (you must contact the agency directly)
- Tennessee SAVIN / Statewide VINE
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice Offender Information
- Utah Department of Corrections Offender Search
- Vermont Department of Corrections Inmate Locator
- Virginia Department of Corrections Offender Locator
- Washington Department of Corrections Find An Offender
- West Virginia Division of Corrections Offender Search
- Wisconsin Department of Corrections Offender Locator
- Wyoming VINE
In addition to inmates with each State Department of Corrections, cities and counties often have their own separate databases for their local facilities. For example, there’s the NYC Department of Corrections Inmate Search and the Polk County Iowa Inmates Online page.
There are so many cities and counties in the United States that listing all their sites on this page would be impractical. Fortunately it’s easy to locate these sites with Google. Try searching for “[your city/county] inmate search”, e.g. “dutchess county new york inmate search” or “los angeles inmate search”.
Look for the official city/county sites in the search results. Often these sites are hosted under the .gov or .us top level domain.