In today's gaming world, Discord is a crucial component for communicating with other gamers. It's especially helpful to have on your phone, so you can stay connected even when away from the computer or not playing games yourself. It allows users to create servers and channels, add friends, and interact with other gamers in real-time.
If you're trying to figure out what does idle mean on Discord, then this article will help you out! We'll go over the definition of idle, how it's different from offline, and why people might choose to be idle instead of online.
- Discord - A Quick Introduction
- What Does Idle Generally Mean?
- What Does Idle Mean on Discord?
- How to Manually Set Your Status as Idle in Discord?
- Other Types of Discord Status and Their Meaning
- Frequently Asked Questions
Discord - A Quick Introduction
Discord is a free voice and text chat application built for gamers. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and web browsers (with plugins). It was built to replace the now-defunct chat service, IRC. Discord is also very similar to Slack or Microsoft Teams in that it has channels where users can post messages and communicate with each other privately.
Discord servers are hosted by individual users on their own machines (similarly to Skype). Users create chats within these servers for various purposes, such as gaming groups, school clubs, and community activism.
Discord is a fast, free and secure app that's been taking gamers by storm. It provides an experience that gamers are familiar with but is designed to be accessible for users who aren't as computer savvy. Discord also helps you do things like customize your profile and manage server permissions easily.
Also Useful: Cool Discord Names 2022 (Usernames)
What Does Idle Generally Mean?
Idle refers to an idle or unused state. It can be associated with a fast-spinning wheel that is not touching the ground, power is wasted when no work needs to be done, or even time spent doing nothing productive at all!
The term "idle" in this sense comes from the fact that machinery could become idle if it were waiting for a signal from a user or if it needed some other input before performing its next action.
We can also see the word "idle" being used to describe a person who is not working.
What Does Idle Mean on Discord?
Idle is a state you can place yourself into while having your client running and logged in to the server. When away from the keyboard (AFK), you will appear as Idle status to other users who are also online or offline; this means that they cannot see any activity coming from you, like typing.
When not idle and active, your status is either Online or In-Game, depending on the server's configuration options. Being AFK for too long can result in being set as Idle, which means that others cannot see any activity from you again until they send a direct message to you (or some other action such as mentioning you in a channel).
Idle didn't mean that the person had signed out or that their internet connection had disconnected. It just meant that they were not active on the server for about five to ten minutes.
This feature was helpful for users that wanted to be AFK but didn't want their status to change from Online or In-Game. This is because if a user was not Idle, it would mean they were active and typing on the server, which could distract others in a channel.
This feature of Discord allows users who are going away from their device temporarily to let others know that they will be back. This is because users have to set their status as Idle before leaving the device, so it ensures that other members of the server are aware of this fact and no longer see you as active.
Also Related: Can You Get Discord On PS4? 
How to Manually Set Your Status as Idle in Discord?
Discord provides users with an option to set their status as Idle manually. To do that, you have to follow the below steps:
- Open Discord server where you want to be AFK
- After that, click on your profile picture
- From the menu, select Idle to set it as your active status. Now you are able to go AFK by leaving your device unattended without worrying about any messages.
This feature is useful for users who want to be AFK for a long time. It can also help users who are working on their laptops, but they still want to keep an eye out for the messages which come through the Discord server.
This feature is very useful when you need to leave your devices unattended, like if you're cooking or doing some household chores, etc. That way, you will be able to keep an eye on your Discord server notifications.
Other Types of Discord Status and Their Meaning
Discord provides users with eight different types of status, which they can use to distinguish themselves from other members in the same Discord server.
- Online: This status is used to show that you are currently active on the Discord server. It lets others know that you are ready to engage on the server, read messages, reply to them, or receive notifications.
- Idle: This status means that you are currently idle on Discord. It is different from the offline status as it does not mean that you have logged off or disconnected from Discord, but rather that you're simply away for a short period of time. It indicates that you might not be reading the latest messages and won't be able to respond immediately.
- Do Not Disturb: This status is very similar to the Idle one. It means that you're currently idle, but it also automatically mutes all your Discord-related desktop notifications, which allows you time for whatever task at hand without being disturbed by a new message or notification from Discord. It can be used for busy periods where you don't want to be disturbed or if you are doing other things on your computer.
- Streaming: If you have enabled the Twitch streaming status on Discord, it will automatically detect when you're broadcasting a game to your viewers and show that as your current status. This indicates that you are currently live on Twitch with an active stream, so users can avoid asking for voice or text chat until your live stream ends.
- Offline: A user is marked as offline on Discord if he/she logs off the chat platform. If you are not active or there for a short period of time, it will automatically switch from Idle to Offline status.
- Invisible: This status is usually used by Discord users who want to stay invisible and not show up on the server. It provides all the benefits of being online, like reading messages, but does not let others see your username or current avatar picture.
- Phone: A checkmark or a green smartphone icon appears next to the user's avatar if they are signed in to Discord. It means that you've logged into Discord from your phone and are now using it.
- Custom: Users can select the Custom category to choose their own status. This status will be displayed in the status bar and can also be used to set a custom display message for each of these categories.
Also Check: Cool Gang Names (2022)
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I set my Discord status?
You can change your status on the Discord server by clicking on your profile picture and then selecting any status option from the activity status.
2. Why should I set my status?
Setting your activity status on Discord helps you indicate that you are currently busy or away from the chat platform. It comes in handy when other users might want to contact you, and it is a way of letting them know what's going on with your life right now so they can avoid sending messages, calling, or initiating voice or text chat.
3. How long do my custom status messages stay active?
Custom status messages will automatically disappear after a few hours, or you can manually reset them to show your current activity.
4. What is the difference between Idle and Offline?
A user is marked as offline on Discord if he/she logs off the chat platform. If you are not active or there for a short period of time, it will automatically switch from Idle to Offline status. Idle: This status means that you are currently idle on Discord. It is different from the offline status as it does not mean that you have logged off or disconnected from Discord, but rather that you're simply away for a short period of time. It indicates that you might not be reading the latest messages and won't be able to respond immediately.
5. What are the different types of statuses on Discord?
There are eight types of statuses on Discord- Online, Idle, Do Not Disturb, Streaming, Offline, Invisible, Phone, and Custom. Each one has its own specific meaning and purpose.
6. How do I set my Discord status to Offline?
You can set your activity status on the server by clicking on your profile picture and selecting any option from the list of statuses. If you are currently offline, it will automatically show as Offline when you disconnect or log out of the chat platform.
Check More: Good Group Chat Names (2022)
Discord is a great platform to communicate with your friends and colleagues. It also allows you to set a custom status for different situations so that users always know what's going on in the server – whether you are online, idle, do not disturb, or invisible.
This blog post on "what does idle mean on Discord?" will help you learn about using the Discord IDLE feature, which is very useful for users who want to keep checking their servers even if they are away from their devices.
If you have more questions on Discord, please feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you out!