To convert a WordPerfect document to MS Word, I’m going to once again fall back on my favorite software for reading almost any document generated by office productivity software: OpenOffice.org. Why is it my favorite? Because it’s free, available for Windows, Mac and Linux, and is capable of reading a great many file formats. That includes WordPerfect .WPD files.
- Start up OpenOffice.org Writer or NeoOffice, whichever flavor of OO.org you chose.
- Click File → Open…
- Change File Type to All Files (*.*).
- Find your WordPerfect file and open it.
- Click File → Save As…
- Change File Type to a version of MS Word (.doc)
- Pick the option that matches the version of MS Office you’re using. Recent versions used the .docx format, while older versions will work best with the 97/2000/XP file type.
- Click Save to save your WordPerfect WPD file as an MS Word document.
Note: although OpenOffice.org is perfectly capable of reading WordPerfect files it cannot save them. That means you can open a .WPD file and save it as any other file type, but you cannot save to the .WPD WordPerfect format.