Changing icons in Windows XP is a very simple process that takes just a few clicks of your mouse. We will cover two methods of changing icons: changing the icons of individual shortcuts on your desktop, and changing the icon for every file of a certain type.
Changing individual desktop icons
This method will allow you to change the icon(s) for each individual item on your desktop, one by one.
- With your mouse, right-click on the desktop icon that you want to change.
- Click on “properties”.
- A new window will open, showing various information about the shortcut. Locate and click on the “change icon” button.
- A new window will open, showing you your choices for the new icon. Select your desired icon and click “ok”.
- You should be looking at the Properties window again. Click “ok”.
- The selected shortcut’s icon will be changed.
Change the icon for all files of a certain type
This method will allow you to change the icon for every file of a certain type (for example, all .txt files). Once you save your changes, every file of the type that you change will use the new icon that you select.
- Click the “Start” button.
- Click on “My Computer”.
- Along the type of the screen, after “File”, “Edit”, etc…, click on “Tools”.
- Click on “Folder Options”.
- A new window with numerous tabs along the top will open. Click on the “File Types” tab.
- You’ll see a list of all the different kinds of files on your computer. Click once on the type of files whose icon you wish to change.
- Click the “Advanced” button at the bottom of the window (above “Ok” and “Cancel”).
- A new window will open up. Click on your desired icon, and press “Ok”.
- Click “Ok” again, to close the Folder Options window and save your changes.
- All files of the type that you selected will now use the new icon.