With Windows 95 through XP, PC users became accustomed to seeing default icons like “My Computer” on the desktop, but if you haven’t spent any time on Vista, you may be confused by the lack of a My Computer icon on the desktop of Windows 7. In fact, the only icon you’ll see on the Windows 7 desktop is the Recycle Bin.
Why doesn’t Windows 7 have a My Computer desktop icon?
- The icons you’re used to seeing on the desktop are found in Windows 7′s Start menu.
- Hit the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Look at the rightmost column in the Start menu and you will see a few familiar options — Documents, Pictures, Music and more.
- Notice that the “My” has been removed from all these labels. You may not notice it at first, but My Computer is now just “Computer”.
- Click on the “Computer” option and you will open up an Explorer window containing all the things normally found under My Computer.